The Define Problem IQ Matrix is the first of a series of five comprehensive maps that delve into the intricacies of solving life’s most difficult problems. This first map shows you how to define your problem clearly in order to lay down the path for the remainder of the problem solving process. The mind map guides you through the initial stages of the problem solving process.
Here is a quick breakdown of each branch of the Define Your Problem IQ Matrix:
- The Purpose: Briefly outlines the purpose of this specific stage of the problem solving process.
- Problem Definition: Explains how to define your problem and the goal you would like to achieve by presenting you with several thought-provoking and insightful questions. Without a clear definition of the problem, you will struggle to find the answers you need to help find an effective solution.
- Imagine Desired Reality: Now it’s time to take yourself into the future and imagine what your desired reality will look like once the problem you are facing has been resolved. This is an important step because it will help you to clarify in your mind the steps you might need to take to reach a satisfactory solution.
- Illuminate Past and Current Reality: Finally, it’s critical that you understand what’s worked or hasn’t worked for you in the past when it comes to solving this type of problem. In addition to this, you must also illuminate your current reality. Unless you are clear about where you are right now and the resources you have on hand, than you will struggle to find an appropriate and workable solution for solving your problem.
Stick with these principles, memorize and incorporate them into your life, and you will progressively develop the necessary habits-of-mind that will help you to define your problem clearly, thereby laying down the foundations for the remainder of the problem solving process.
Below you will find links to all five problem solving mind maps. Together they will provide you with a comprehensive outline of the creative problem solving process.
- Define Problem
- Investigate Problem
- Re-Imagine Idea
- Engineer Plan of Action
- Execute and Master
- BONUS: Solving Life’s Problems provides a solid introduction to the process and the mindset required to help you solve your life’s problems most effectively.
For a comprehensive written overview of this five step problem solving process, please take a look at The Path @ Visual Thinking Magic.
When you purchase the Define Your Problem IQ Matrix you will receive:
- A PDF copy of the IQ Matrix, which you can use for printing in high resolution.
- A JPG image file of the IQ Matrix, which is ideal for viewing on tablets and mobile devices.
- A MindManager file for those who wish to edit the content of the IQ Matrix.
- A printable PDF summary that breaks down each branch of the IQ Matrix in detail.
About the MindManager file format
This file can be opened and edited using MindManager mind mapping software. Alternatively you can also use iMindMap or the free mind mapping software xMind to open this map. Please however be aware that opening this file using another software besides MindManager will alter the formatting of the map. However, all content will be intact and the map can still be edited and reformatted to suit your purposes. This file is zipped and can be unzipped using file archiver software. We recommend you use the free open source 7-zip software.
For further details, please view the FAQ page.