The Reading Emotions IQ Matrix explores how to recognize several common human emotions by reading facial expressions and other nonverbal cues. The emotions we experience often manifest in how we express ourselves externally. Whether it comes through our facial expressions, hand gestures, body language, or physiological responses — every emotional experience brings with it key indicators that reveal what we’re feeling. Understanding how to recognize the emotions of another person will help you adapt your communication style and approach. In this way, you can create deeper bonds that will help you gain more influence and respect.
This mind map walks you through how to read and recognize the emotion of anxiety, anger, disappointment, envy, shame, disgust, embarrassment, desire, fear, surprise, boredom, and grief using facial expressions and nonverbal cues.
Here is a quick breakdown of each branch of the Reading Emotions mind map.
- Understanding Emotions: All four branches of this map break down the nonverbal cues to look out for when it comes to recognizing 12 common human emotions. These emotions include anxiety, anger, disappointment, envy, shame, disgust, embarrassment, desire, fear, surprise, boredom, and relief. Each emotion brings with it a set of predictable nonverbal cues that manifest through a person’s facial expressions, hand gestures, body language, mannerisms, and through their unconscious physiological responses. This map explores how to spot each of these emotions using these nonverbal cues. Grasping an understanding of how to do this, will help you to better understand what people are feeling in any given instance. Subsequently, you will be better able to adapt your approach and attend to each person’s needs.
This map provides a roadmap and framework for understanding how to recognize emotions using nonverbal cues. Referencing it regularly and committing it to memory will help you to embed these concepts and ideas into your subconscious mind.
A mind map, of course, does this beautifully because it mirrors the synaptic connections made in your brain as you try to establish new habits of thought and behavior. It brings together key concepts and ideas that help your brain to fully integrate and process this information. The brain, subsequently, rewires itself as it attempts to establish new habits of mind. It’s an ideal tool for creating lasting change and transformation.
Stick with these principles, memorize and incorporate them into your daily interactions with others and you will progressively begin developing deeper levels of understanding of the nonverbal cues that create each unique emotional experience. With this understanding in mind, you will be better able to empathize with others and, thereby, adapt your communication style and approach to better meet their needs.
When you purchase the Reading Emotions IQ Matrix you will receive:
- A PDF copy of the IQ Matrix, which you can use for printing in high resolution.
- A JPG image file of the IQ Matrix, which is ideal for viewing on tablets and mobile devices.
- A Desktop Background version of the map you can use for reference on your computer.
- A MindManager file for those who wish to edit the content of the IQ Matrix.
Additional visual resources and variations of this IQ Matrix might be added to your account page at no extra cost in the future.