The Understanding Temperaments IQ Matrix explores the 10 inborn temperament traits that shape the foundations of our personality. Temperament is not a personality. They are, however, related. Temperament is a cluster of inborn traits that have genetic origins. These traits influence how we respond to people, events, and circumstances. They also directing our natural preferences and inclinations. On the other hand, a personality refers to the individual differences in characteristic patterns of thinking, feeling, and behaving. A personality is made up of very specific temperament traits that — when mixed together with an individual’s qualities and life experience — help shape that personality.
Here is a quick breakdown of each branch of the Understanding Temperaments mind map.
- Temperament and Personality: The first branch of this map breaks down the difference between temperament and a personality and how they impact our lives.
- 9 Temperament Traits: The remaining three branches of the map explore the nine inborn temperament traits that lay down the foundations for our personalities. Each of the nine traits has two distinct variations of behavior. In all cases, each behavior variation has its strengths and weaknesses. Therefore, there is no positive or negative temperament trait variation. Each trait variation has both positive and negative behaviors associated with it. It’s, therefore, up to each individual to make the most of their inborn traits to help them get through life in the most optimal way possible. The temperament traits include The Activity Preference, the Intensity Response, the Regularity Preference, the Distractability Response, the Sensitivity Response, the Approachability Preference, the Persistence Response, the Adaptability Response, and Mood.
This map provides a roadmap and framework for understanding temperaments. Referencing it regularly and committing it to memory will help you to embed these concepts and ideas into your subconscious mind.
A mind map, of course, does this beautifully because it mirrors the synaptic connections made in your brain as you try to establish new habits of thought and behavior. It brings together key concepts and ideas that help your brain to fully integrate and process this information. The brain, subsequently, rewires itself as it attempts to establish new habits of mind. It’s an ideal tool for creating lasting change and transformation.
Reading through this map and familiarizing yourself with these traits will help you to better recognize the various temperament traits within yourself and other people. With this knowledge, you will be better able to adapt your behavior and work to your natural strengths and abilities. Moreover, by recognizing these temperament traits in others, you will be better able to lead, influence, and guide them appropriately.
When you purchase the Understanding Temperaments IQ Matrix you will receive:
- A PDF copy of the IQ Matrix, which you can use for printing in high resolution.
- A JPG image file of the IQ Matrix, which is ideal for viewing on tablets and mobile devices.
- A Desktop Background version of the map you can use for reference on your computer.
- A MindManager file for those who wish to edit the content of the IQ Matrix.
Additional visual resources and variations of this IQ Matrix might be added to your account page at no extra cost in the future.