The Handling Criticism IQ Matrix explores how to overcome the fear of criticism. All of us have experienced criticism of some sort throughout our lives. Whether this criticism comes from our parents, siblings, friends, coworkers, bosses, managers, teachers, kids, or from people who are out on a mission to make our lives miserable, one truth remains: criticism is simply an unavoidable part of life.
Often, people who receive the most criticism are the ones who are doing something new, different, and risky. In fact, if you’re doing something that goes against the grain, then you’re opening yourself up to criticism. And yet going against the grain is essentially what you need to do to get ahead in life. In fact, the more you accomplish the more criticism you will have to deal with.
But not to worry, this map lays down a framework for making the most of the criticism. No longer will you see it as a negative experience. You will, instead, begin to view criticism as an opportunity for self-understanding, growth, and development.
Here is a quick breakdown of each branch of the Handling Criticism mind map.
- Experiencing Criticism: The first branch of this map provides you with many thought-provoking perspectives about criticism. These perspectives will dramatically alter your view of criticism. Receiving criticism can often be a very beneficial part of life. It’s beneficial as it provides you with many valuable insights that you can use to transform your life for the better.
- Taking Criticism: The second branch of this map explores what to do when you’re actively being criticized by another person. Here you will discover how to take advantage of these moments to gain maximum value from the experience. This will provide you with the impetus you need to do things in a different or better way. Or simply, not to do anything at all. 😊 As you work through this branch you will learn what to do and the questions to ask yourself before responding to criticism. Use these questions as a guide before launching verbal attacks on the other person. 😉
- Overcoming Criticism: The third branch of this map outlines the things you can do to help you work through harsh criticism. Making the most of criticism sometimes requires a little reframing. Turn the criticism on its head and reframe it in a way that plays to your benefit. You could, for instance, use criticism as a motivator to improve performance, to increase levels of determination, or to use it as a motivation booster. How you choose to use it is completely in your hands.
- Giving Criticism: Here we flip the coin and explore how to give proper constructive criticism while showing the utmost respect to the other person. It’s only when we know how to give criticism the right way, can we appreciate the criticism that others dish our way. Use these ideas to give valued-added feedback to people without offending them.
This map provides a roadmap and framework for making the most of criticism. Referencing it regularly and committing it to memory will help you to embed these concepts and ideas into your subconscious mind.
A mind map, of course, does this beautifully because it mirrors the synaptic connections made in your brain as you try to establish new habits of thought and behavior. It brings together key concepts and ideas that help your brain to fully integrate and process this information. The brain, subsequently, rewires itself as it attempts to establish new habits of mind. It’s an ideal tool for creating lasting change and transformation.
Stick with these principles, memorize and incorporate them into your life, and you will progressively learn how to make the most of criticism and use it as a means for improving yourself, your life, and your circumstances.
When you purchase the Handling Criticism IQ Matrix you will receive:
- A PDF copy of the IQ Matrix, which you can use for printing in high resolution.
- A JPG image file of the IQ Matrix, which is ideal for viewing on tablets and mobile devices.
- A MindManager file for those who wish to edit the content of the IQ Matrix.
- A printable PDF summary of this IQ Matrix to help you better understand each concept.
Additional visual resources and variations of this IQ Matrix might be added to your account page at no extra cost in the future.