The Critical Thinking Skills IQ Matrix explores how to think more critically and objectively about your life, the knowledge you acquire, and about your circumstances. Becoming an outstanding critical thinker has more to do with a “state-of-mind” rather than a specific set of tools, techniques, or methods you could utilize. It is this “state-of-mind” that will help you overcome the obstacles and challenges you face each day. Moreover, it is precisely this “state-of-mind” that will help you pierce through the veil of filters coloring your understanding of reality. As a result, you will be better prepared to deal with the problems, challenges, and obstacles that are impeding your progress as you work toward your goals.
Working through this map will, in fact, challenge you to question your assumptions. This will, subsequently, lead to unique insights, which will improve your ability to make decisions and make the most of every situation.
Here is a quick breakdown of each branch of the Critical Thinking Skills mind map.
- Critical Thinking: The first branch of this map defines what it means to think critically. It also outlines the advantages that we can derive from learning to think critically about our lives and circumstances.
- Critical Thinking Traits: The second branch of this map presents you with a list of essential thinking habits that you must cultivate each day to build your critical thinking muscle. This branch also provides several insights into the words that critical thinkers typically use when thinking critically about something. Using these words will help you embody the mentality that it takes to think critically.
- Critical Thinking Process: The third branch of this map outlines a six-step process you can use to help you think more critically and solve problems far more effectively. The steps of this process include (1) assessing your knowledge, (2) demonstrating your understanding and comprehension, (3) applying your knowledge as a means of exploring hypothetical solutions, (4) identifying causes and motives, (5) synthesizing the information, and (6) evaluating the validity of solutions. Here you are also presented with numerous self-reflection questions that will help you gain deeper insights into each step of this process. This branch also walks you through how to gain a proper perspective of a situation. It does this by presenting you with four methods of comparison thinking that you can use to think critically about something.
- Critical Thinking Questions: The final branch of this map takes you through a three-step questioning process that will encourage you to think critically about your predicament, life, and circumstances. These steps include (1) seeking clarification, (2) breaking down assumptions and misunderstandings, and (3) probing for point of view, evidence, and consequences.
This map provides a roadmap and framework for improving your decision-making ability and making the most of your circumstances by thinking critically. Referencing it regularly and committing it to memory will help you to embed these concepts and ideas into your subconscious mind.
A mind map, of course, does this beautifully because it mirrors the synaptic connections made in your brain as you try to establish new habits of thought and behavior. It brings together key concepts and ideas that help your brain to fully integrate and process this information. The brain, subsequently, rewires itself as it attempts to establish new habits of mind. It’s an ideal tool for creating lasting change and transformation.
Stick with these principles, memorize and incorporate them into your daily thinking regime, and you will progressively develop the ability to critically assess your circumstances, which will improve your decision-making and help you make the most of your circumstances.
When you purchase the Critical Thinking IQ Matrix you will receive:
- A PDF copy of the IQ Matrix, which you can use for printing in high resolution.
- A JPG image file of the IQ Matrix, which is ideal for viewing on tablets and mobile devices.
- A Desktop Background version of the map you can use for reference on your computer.
- A MindManager file for those who wish to edit the content of the IQ Matrix.
- A printable PDF summary of this IQ Matrix to help you better understand each concept.
Additional visual resources and variations of this IQ Matrix might be added to your account page at no extra cost in the future.