The Fixed vs. Growth Mindset IQ Matrix explores two types of mindsets and how they tend to interact with the world. The map is based on the book Mindset: The Psychology of Success written by Carol S. Dweck. Within the book, Carol describes two contrasting ways people think about the world, their life, and their circumstances. On the one hand, we have the Fixed Mindset, and on the other, we have the Growth Mindset. This map breaks down the habitual traits, beliefs, and behaviors of both types of mindsets and how they impact our lives and influence the choices and decisions we make. Working through this map will highlight the value of adopting a Growth Mindset. This is of particular value if you seek to become a lifelong learner.
Here is a quick breakdown of each branch of the Fixed vs. Growth Mindset mind map.
- The Fixed Mindset: The first couple of branches of this map explore the beliefs, traits, and behaviors of people who adopt a fixed mindset. People who fall into this category believe that a person’s potential is fixed at birth. They, therefore, purely rely on their talent and intelligence to get through life and accomplish their goals.
- The Growth Mindset: The final two branches of this map explore the beliefs, traits, and behaviors of people who adopt a growth mindset. People who fall into this category believe that a person’s true potential is unknown and potentially unlimited. They, therefore, rely on effort and continuous improvement to get through life and accomplish their goals.
It is certainly clear from the map that adopting a Growth Mindset can be of tremendous value for long-term success. However, for the most part, many of us adopt characteristics, behaviors, traits, and beliefs of both types of mindsets in a variety of situations. But even if your predominant mindset is of the Fixed nature, it’s never too late to change. You must, however, begin consciously adopting more growth mindset characteristics and behaviors into your life. Begin with one of the suggestions listed within the map and then progressively add more of them over time. Change will not happen instantly. You can, however, make gradual changes over time that will impact your life in significant ways over the long-run.
This map provides a roadmap and framework for developing a Growth Mindset. Referencing it regularly and committing it to memory will help you to embed these concepts and ideas into your subconscious mind.
A mind map, of course, does this beautifully because it mirrors the synaptic connections made in your brain as you try to establish new habits of thought and behavior. It brings together key concepts and ideas that help your brain to fully integrate and process this information. The brain, subsequently, rewires itself as it attempts to establish new habits of mind. It’s an ideal tool for creating lasting change and transformation.
When you purchase the Fixed vs. Growth Mindset IQ Matrix you will receive:
- A PDF copy of the IQ Matrix, which you can use for printing in high resolution.
- A JPG image file of the IQ Matrix, which is ideal for viewing on tablets and mobile devices.
- A Desktop Background version of the map you can use for reference on your computer.
- A MindManager file for those who wish to edit the content of the IQ Matrix.
- A printable PDF summary of this IQ Matrix to help you better understand each concept.
Additional visual resources and variations of this IQ Matrix might be added to your account page at no extra cost in the future.