The Relationship Boundaries IQ Matrix explores how to establish healthy boundaries that form the bedrock of a supportive intimate relationship. Boundaries protect an individual’s identity and the choices they are able to make within the relationship. This, subsequently, helps the relationship function more effectively. On the other hand, when boundaries are unclear, it can lead to disappointment, friction, and resentment over the long run.
This map takes you through what it truly means to set healthy and supportive boundaries within your relationship. It highlights how to identify boundary gaps, walks you through how to set personal boundaries, explores how to inform your partner, and guides you on how to build mutual relationship boundaries for the benefit of the relationship.
Here is a quick breakdown of each branch of the Relationship Boundaries mind map.
RECOGNIZE: Before you even begin establishing boundaries, you need to understand where exactly boundaries are needed. The first branch of this map walks you through how to identify boundary gaps. These gaps are not always easy to spot. The questions here will, however, help you identify areas of tension and friction within your relationship. You can effectively reduce conflict in these areas by establishing clear boundaries for your benefit and the benefit of the relationship.
ESTABLISH: Having identified boundary gaps, it’s now time to establish clear personal boundaries. The second branch of this map presents you with a series of questions that will help you clearly define boundaries that you would like to establish. It’s, of course, also essential to take your partner through these questions to help them define their boundaries. It’s important to note that when you have firm boundaries, it’s unrealistic to expect that you will accommodate your partner 100 percent of the time. There must, therefore, be a level of compromise that works for the benefit of the relationship.
INFORM: Having defined the boundaries you would like to create, it’s now time to inform your partner about these boundaries. The third branch of this map examines how to set clear expectations and consequences for each of the boundaries you set. You must, however, work together with your partner to ensure that you’re both on the same page.
BUILD: As a relationship evolves, mutual relationship boundaries must take preference over personal boundaries. Doing so helps strengthen the relationship. The final branch of this map takes you through a series of questions that will help you set boundaries that help protect your relationship from external sources that threaten your relationship’s stability.
This map provides a roadmap and framework for establishing healthy and supportive boundaries within an intimate relationship. Referencing it regularly and committing it to memory will help you to embed these concepts and ideas into your subconscious mind.
A mind map, of course, does this beautifully because it mirrors the synaptic connections made in your brain as you try to establish new habits of thought and behavior. It brings together key concepts and ideas that help your brain to fully integrate and process this information. The brain, subsequently, rewires itself as it attempts to establish new habits of mind. It’s an ideal tool for creating lasting change and transformation.
When you purchase the Relationship Boundaries IQ Matrix you will receive:
- A PDF copy of the IQ Matrix, which you can use for printing in high resolution.
- A JPG image file of the IQ Matrix, which is ideal for viewing on tablets and mobile devices.
- An Idea Generation Template of the IQ Matrix that provides you with a segmented canvas for brainstorming ideas about this topic.
- A Free Form Template of the IQ Matrix that provides you with an almost blank canvas for exploring this topic in a multitude of creative ways.
- A Memory Recall Template of the IQ Matrix that helps you recall the information contained within the map from memory.
- A Language Translation Template of the IQ Matrix that provides you with a canvas for translating the content of this map into another language.
- A MindManager file for those who wish to edit the content of the mind map (text-only version).
- An Xmind file for those who want an alternative to MindManager (text-only version).
- A Desktop Background version of the map you can use for reference on your computer.
- A Second and Third Version of the map with an additional layer of text that gives you deeper insights into this topic.
Additional visual resources and variations of this IQ Matrix will be added to your account page at no extra cost when made available.