The Basketball Movement Tactics IQ Matrix will help you master the fundamentals of how to improve your basketball IQ when moving on the floor with or without the basketball. Basketball is fundamentally a game of spacing and movement that requires precision passing, communication, and team chemistry. All of which helps synchronize the movement of the player with the ball to his/her teammates who don’t have the ball. When it comes to pure efficiency on the basketball floor, it is equally (if not more) important to move well without the ball than it is to move with the ball. And it is these dynamics that separate the greatest players from the rest.
The mind map breaks down exactly what to do with the ball when you receive a pass on the perimeter. This comes down to an understanding of how to read your defender. It then breaks down how to set effective screens that lead to potential scoring opportunities. And the map concludes by exploring how to move on the basketball floor individually, in pairs, and as a team in a motion offense. This essentially comes down to proper spacing and precision timing.
Here is a quick breakdown of each branch of the Basketball Movement Tactics mind map.
- Playing on the Perimeter: The first branch of this map takes you through what to do with the ball when you receive a pass on the perimeter. Here the map breaks down what to do when you have space to move, space behind, or little space to move.
- Types of Screens: The second branch of this map walks you through fundamental principles for setting ball screens. Here you will learn how to set an effective screen to create a potential scoring opportunity. Other screens outlined in this branch of the map include away screens, back screens, and down screens.
- Intelligent Basketball Movement: The final branch of this map explores how to move on the basketball court individually, in pairs, and as a team. This branch takes you through the V-Cut, L-Cut, Front and Rear Cut, the Pick and Roll, and how to move in a Motion Offence.
This map provides a roadmap and framework for improving your movement on the basketball court with or without the ball. Referencing it regularly and committing it to memory will help you to embed these concepts and ideas into your subconscious mind.
A mind map, of course, does this beautifully because it mirrors the synaptic connections made in your brain as you try to establish new habits of thought and behavior. It brings together key concepts and ideas that help your brain to fully integrate and process this information. The brain, subsequently, rewires itself as it attempts to establish new habits of mind. It’s an ideal tool for creating lasting change and transformation.
Stick with these principles, memorize them and incorporate them into your basketball training regime, and you will progressively improve how you move on the basketball court with or without the ball.
When you purchase the Basketball Movement Tactics IQ Matrix you will receive:
- A PDF copy of the IQ Matrix, which you can use for printing in high resolution.
- A JPG image file of the IQ Matrix, which is ideal for viewing on tablets and mobile devices.
- A Desktop Background version of the map you can use for reference on your computer.
- A MindManager file for those who wish to edit the content of the IQ Matrix.
- A printable PDF summary of this IQ Matrix to help you better understand each concept.
Additional visual resources and variations of this IQ Matrix might be added to your account page at no extra cost in the future.