The Basketball Dribbling Skills IQ Matrix will help you master the fundamentals of how to improve your basketball ball-handling skills. Basketball is fundamentally a team-oriented passing game that requires speed, intelligent movement, and precision. There is, however, another aspect of basketball that, if mastered, will dramatically improve your confidence and efficiency as a player. Ball-handling is a skill that helps open angles for passing lanes. Moreover, it helps create shots for you and for your teammates. It also helps advance the ball up the court and maneuver through defensive pressure. Master this skill and watch your confidence soar. Neglect this skill and suffer the consequences of hesitancy and uncertainty.
This mind map breaks down three types of in-game dribbling techniques and when you should be using them. It identifies various scenarios when you should dribble the ball in a game situation, and concludes by highlighting how to use your dribble to beat your opponent as you attack the basket.
Here is a quick breakdown of each branch of the Basketball Dribbling Skills mind map.
- Guidelines for Training: The first branch of this map provides you with instructions for practicing your ball-handling skills. It specifically outlines how to fine-tune your dribbling technique and presents you with various drills you can practice.
- In-Game Tactics: The second branch of this map presents you with the three different types of in-game dribbling techniques and when to use them. These dribbling techniques include the Control Dribble, the Speed Dribble, and the Power Dribble. This branch also breaks down reasons to dribble the ball in a game situation.
- Dribbling Strategies: The final branch of this map provides you with real in-game scenarios for dribbling the basketball. Specifically, it outlines how to attack in a straight line, how to attack by changing direction, and presents you with a few more advanced tactical moves to get by your opponent. As you work through this branch, you will get a better understanding of when to use a crossover dribble, a behind the back dribble, a spin dribble, an in-out dribble, a hesitation dribble, and a fake crossover dribble.
This map provides a roadmap and framework for improving your ball-handling skills to help you excel as a basketball player. Referencing it regularly and committing it to memory will help you to embed these concepts and ideas into your subconscious mind.
A mind map, of course, does this beautifully because it mirrors the synaptic connections made in your brain as you try to establish new habits of thought and behavior. It brings together key concepts and ideas that help your brain to fully integrate and process this information. The brain, subsequently, rewires itself as it attempts to establish new habits of mind. It’s an ideal tool for creating lasting change and transformation.
Stick with these principles, memorize and incorporate them into your basketball training regime, and you will progressively become a more proficient and confident ball handler. And as your ball-handling skills improve, so will your ability to create off the dribble for yourself and for your teammates.
When you purchase the Basketball Dribbling Skills IQ Matrix you will receive:
- A PDF copy of the IQ Matrix, which you can use for printing in high resolution.
- A JPG image file of the IQ Matrix, which is ideal for viewing on tablets and mobile devices.
- A Desktop Background version of the map you can use for reference on your computer.
- A MindManager file for those who wish to edit the content of the IQ Matrix.
- A printable PDF summary of this IQ Matrix to help you better understand each concept.
Additional visual resources and variations of this IQ Matrix might be added to your account page at no extra cost in the future.