The Pain and Pleasure Principle IQ Matrix explores the two primary motivating forces behind all our choices, decisions, behavior, and actions. The Pain and Pleasure principle lies at the core of everything you do, and of everything you are. Your beliefs, values, and psychological rules are all built upon this principle. The decisions you make, the actions you take, and the habits you indulge in, are all based on this principle. In fact, every part of your psyche is influenced in some way by the Pain and Pleasure principle. You are, therefore, who you are today because of how you have interpreted and acted upon the experience of pain and pleasure.
Working through this map will help you take control of your pain-pleasure response. The map, specifically, takes you through an eight-step process for managing pain and pleasure. Working through this process of steps will help move you from a state of procrastination, uncertainty, and hesitation, to a state of desire, certainty, and motivation. All of which will help you overcome limiting habitual patterns of behavior that are holding you back from living your best life.
Here is a quick breakdown of each branch of the Pain and Pleasure Principle mind map.
- Behavior Origins: The first stage of the Pain and Pleasure process involves identifying the limiting behavior that you would like to change as you work your way through this eight-step process.
- Create Pain: Once you have identified your limiting behavior, you must now take time to associate a great deal of emotional pain towards continuing this behavior. Here you are provided with numerous questions that will help you to associate with that pain.
- Pattern Interrupt: Once the pain has been associated, your next task within this branch is to interrupt the old pattern of behavior.
- Create Leverage: Now that the old patterns of behavior have been interrupted, your task here is to gain adequate leverage to help you establish a new pattern of behavior.
- Create Pleasure: With enough leverage, your task here is to create a new pattern of behavior. It’s essential at this stage to associate a great deal of pleasure with this new pattern of behavior. Here you are presented with numerous self-reflection questions that will help you do that.
- New Behavior Anchoring: Having associated pleasure with your new behavior, you must now anchor this new pattern to your neurology. This will ensure that the new behavior is adequately conditioned into your psyche.
- Becoming a Realist: It’s time now to become a realist by using foresight and preparing in advance for possible roadblocks and problems that may arise. Here you are presented with several self-reflection questions that will help you make room for the new behavior in your life.
- Your Plan of Action: The final step of this process involves drawing up a plan of supportive actions for your new empowering behavior.
This map provides a roadmap and framework for overcoming limiting patterns of behavior that are holding you back from living your best life. Referencing it regularly and committing it to memory will help you to embed these concepts and ideas into your subconscious mind.
A mind map, of course, does this beautifully because it mirrors the synaptic connections made in your brain as you try to establish new habits of thought and behavior. It brings together key concepts and ideas that help your brain to fully integrate and process this information. The brain, subsequently, rewires itself as it attempts to establish new habits of mind. It’s an ideal tool for creating lasting change and transformation.
Stick with these principles, memorize and incorporate them into your life, and you will progressively learn how to use pain and pleasure to your advantage to help you overcome limiting patterns of behavior that are holding you back from living your best life.
When you purchase the Pain and Pleasure Principle IQ Matrix you will receive:
- A PDF copy of the IQ Matrix, which you can use for printing in high resolution.
- A JPG image file of the IQ Matrix, which is ideal for viewing on tablets and mobile devices.
- A Desktop Background version of the map you can use for reference on your computer.
- A MindManager file for those who wish to edit the content of the IQ Matrix.
- A printable PDF summary of this IQ Matrix to help you better understand each concept.
- A Visual Thinking template and Instruction Manual to help you explore this topic in a visual way using visual thinking principles.
Additional visual resources and variations of this IQ Matrix might be added to your account page at no extra cost in the future.